ExpectingNYC Doula Mentorship Program
This program is designed for those interested in becoming a professional doula. Through advanced training modules, supervision, mentorship support, and actual birth work, doulas will gain a wide breadth of knowledge to confidently pursue a career as a professional doula.
Getting started in any career takes tremendous effort and dedication. You can certainly reach your goal of becoming a successful doula on your own, but it can take many hours and years to learn what happens on the front lines and how deal with challenging cases. The gift of working directly with a teacher who has walked this road before you, means you have direct access to the information that takes years to hone. Working with ExpectingNYC's mentorship program offers you the skills, method of client preparation and confidence to succeed in a vocation that many struggle to find their way. We strive to help doulas obtain professional certification, gain experience, and have direct mentorship and supervision with Kristy Zadrozny and other experts in the field, while learning alongside other individuals going through the same certification process as. Our doulas undergo a thorough and rigorous training that prepares them to gain employment through NYC's top doula agencies, start private practices, and have the opportunity to develop life-long partnerships with other doulas through our caring and supportive community.
We are different because we focus on self improvement and self awareness first. We streamline the process of understanding of who you are on this earth, which will inform your work as a professional and will help you build the kind of life that serves you and your family.
- Completion of Kristy Zadrozny’s Mindfulness Based CAPPA Labor Doula Training
- Participation in ExpectingNYC's Community Outreach Team
- Attend Volunteer births in exchange for certification evaluations
Apprentices meet with Kristy Zadrozny, once per month for Supervision meetings which focus on: business development, self care, emotional support and birth processing. Small groups are either conducted in-person or via recorded Google groups.
Advanced Training Class Module
- Covers advanced career training, doula skills, and personal growth
- Some classes will be in person and open to the community (free for apprentices), including other local doulas, expecting families and healthcare providers or prerecorded, discount codes and links will be provided.
- Additional classes may be offered more than once a month.
- Bimonthly, 1 - 2 hour Senior Doula Process Meeting (observation)
- Expecting(nyc)’s senior doulas meet regularly to go over client cases, process births, and to troubleshoot working relationships with each other, Health Care Providers and hospitals
- Observe prenatal preparation and postpartum visits OR Childbirth Education classes with experienced doulas in the practice
- Opportunity to attend birth with a Senior Doula
- Attend three solo births as a Labor Doula either through Expecting(nyc) or independently
- Participation in Community Outreach team
- Access to an “on-call” Senior Doula while you are at a birth or in need of immediate advice
- Open question / discussion forum on Facebook group, moderated by Senior Doulas
- available upon request