Our Massage Therapy Services
ExpectingNYC’s massage therapists are expert at identifying areas of tension and working with each client’s individual needs. Our advanced training in trigger point therapy, deep tissue massage, and pre- and postnatal massage therapy allows us to truly understand the pregnant woman’s changing body.
- Prenatal Massage
- Postnatal Massage
- Trigger Point Therapy
- In-home Prenatal Massage
- In-home Postnatal Massage and Breastfeeding Support
With regular massage, we become aware of how deeply our body, mind, and spirit are interconnected. Just as our muscles need relaxation so do our interior selves–before, during, and after pregnancy. Massage combats the stress that negatively impacts every organ, tissue, and cell.
We offer sessions for 60 or 90 minutes and recommend you come in regularly on the same schedule as your OB or midwife visits. These sessions give you space to honor your changing body and to connect with your baby.
For more information about our services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office 212-475-0709.
There is a tremendous amount of research that supports how massage therapy combats stress. There is also enough research to suggest that fertility issues like irregular menstrual cycles and hormonal imbalances are affected by the stress hormone cortisol. At ExpectingNYC we focus our massages to support a woman through her entire life cycle, this includes the years before and after pregnancy.
ExpectingNYC’s massage therapists all have an advanced training in prenatal massage therapy. That means we truly understand your changing body and how to approach it with bodywork that includes using deep, specific work or simply helping your relax. Our therapists help you identify the changes that are taking place throughout your pregnancy, then we target what you need as an individual.
Benefits of prenatal massage therapy:
- Improvement of blood and lymphatic circulation
- Reduction of swelling and joint pain associated with increased blood volume
- Resolution of muscular spasms and fascial restrictions
- Resolution of ischemia (lack of oxygen to tissues, caused by fascial restrictions and muscle pain).
- Correcting for changes in posture, gait, and weight distribution
- Preparing emotionally for labor, birth, and baby
Postpartum massage is a wonderful way to bounce back after pregnancy and birth. Our massage therapists understand the muscle aches and pains that are associated with labor, birth, and breastfeeding. We love hearing your birth stories and know that sometimes certain positions assumed in labor can have a lasting effect on your muscles days and weeks later. Sharing your birth experience helps us understand where you might be feeling extra tension.
Muscle soreness and exhaustion is expected from birth and caring for a newborn. This is how postpartum massage can help you recover:
- By flushing out the tissue wastes from the exertion of the birth.
- By flushing out any fluid retention from IV fluids and swelling.
- By relieving muscle tightness, especially of muscles used while pushing, like the gluteals, quadriceps, arms, hands, face/jaw, and abdominals.
- Eases the stress of carrying and nursing the newborn by opening up your chest area, relaxing between the shoulders and lengthening your neck
Babies up to 3 months are welcome at your massage! (Please book extra time to accommodate.) We can help you by observing the alignment of your body while you hold your baby. Are your shoulders relaxed? Do you feel neck tension while nursing? What about your wrists? These are all things we look for and can make a big difference in your everyday wellbeing.
Home visits for postpartum massage are encouraged, it allows us ample time to observe you in a familiar setting.