Massage Therapy Services
Kristy, Expecting(nyc)'s seasoned Licensed Massage therapist, is expert at identifying areas of tension and working with each client’s individual needs. Her advanced training in trigger point therapy, deep tissue massage, and pre- and postnatal massage therapy allows her to truly understand her clients changing body, during pregnancy and the postpartum time.
With regular massage, we can become aware of how deeply interconnected our body is with our mind. Just as our muscles need relaxation, so do our interior selves – before, during, and after pregnancy. Massage combats the stress that negatively impacts every organ, tissue, and cell in the body.
We offer sessions for 60 or 90 minutes and recommend you come in regularly, on the same schedule as your OB or midwife visits. These sessions give you space to honor your changing body and to connect with your baby.
There is a tremendous amount of research that supports how massage therapy combats stress. There is also enough research to suggest that fertility issues like irregular menstrual cycles and hormonal imbalances are affected by the stress hormone cortisol. At Expecting(nyc), we focus our massages to support a woman through her entire life cycle, including the years before and after pregnancy.
60 minutes: $175 • 90 minutes: $250
We truly understand your changing body and how to approach it with deep, specific bodywork or simply helping you relax. Kristy can help you identify your specific needs, and the changes that are taking place throughout your pregnancy. Each session is different, week to week, and it is designed to help you as an individual.
*60 minutes: $175 • 90 minutes: $250 • home visits: $350
A massage session after birth is a wonderful way to feel "at home" in your new postpartum body. Our massage therapists understand the muscle aches and pains that are associated with labor, birth, breastfeeding, and caring for a newborn. We love hearing your birth stories and know that sometimes certain positions assumed in labor can have a lasting effect on your muscles in the days and weeks after the baby is born. Sharing your birth experience helps us understand where you might be feeling extra tension.
Home visits for postpartum massage are encouraged, as it allows us ample time to observe you in a familiar setting. Additionally, babies up to 3 months are encouraged to be present at your massage (please book extra time to accommodate).
60 minutes: $175 • 90 minutes: $250 • home visits: $350
Benefits of Postpartum Massage Therapy
- Flushes out tissue wastes from exertion of birth
- Flushes out fluid retention from IV fluids and swelling
- Relieves muscle tightness, especially of muscles used while pushing (e.g. gluteals, quadriceps, arms, hands, face/jaw, and abdominals)
- Eases stress from carrying and nursing the newborn by opening chest, relaxing shoulders, and lengthening neck
Benefits of Prenatal Massage Therapy
- Improving blood and lymphatic circulation* Reducing swelling and joint pain associated with increased blood volume
- Resolving muscular spasms and fascial restrictions
- Resolving ischemia (lack of oxygen to tissues, caused by fascial restrictions and muscle pain)
- Correcting for changes in posture, gait, and weight distribution
- Preparing emotionally for labor, birth, and baby